“Superfood” is a buzz word we see all over the internet, but what constitutes as a superfood? Are you planning a diet for weight loss? Maybe you just want to eat healthier? By reading this article, you will learn about what a superfood is and which foods fit the definition.
What Is a Superfood?
The term superfood is a marketing term for food with supposed health benefits.This includes spinach, beans, sweet potatoes, fish, nuts, whole grains, fruits and berries that are rich in nutrients. There are no set criteria to determine what is and what is not a superfood. Superfoods tend to have extra-large doses of vitamins and minerals that can help us avoid diseases and make our lives longer and healthier. Some of the nutrients that superfoods contain include antioxidants (fight cancer), healthy fats (prevent heart disease), Fiber ( help prevent diabetes and digestive problems) and Phytochemicals.
The following are some popular superfood:
- Blueberries: Blueberries are often at the top of the list of superfoods. This is because they are rich in vitamins, phytochemicals, and soluble fiber. All of this adds up to help reduce the risk of certain heart conditions, especially in young women.
- Kiwi Fruits: The benefit of these is almost similar to blueberries; they have high vitamin C and contain antioxidants. Kiwi Fruit are labeled as a superfood perhaps because they provide a more extended range of nutrients compared to other fruits. They also contain serotonin- a hormone that helps induce and maintain good sleep.
- Beans and whole grains: These are a standard addition to the superfood list. Beans are one of the best sources of low-fat protein. They contain insoluble fiber that lowers cholesterol which provides an extended feeling of fullness. Whole grains have similar benefits to beans and are a remarkable source of protein, vitamin, and minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
- Nuts And Seeds: These contain high levels of minerals and healthy fats.
Sweet potato and squash: For similar reasons, both kinds of foods are generally excellent sources of fiber and vitamin A; they are also naturally sweet, which means to don’t have to add butter, cream or salt to heighten the taste.
- Salmon, Mackerel, and Sardines: These fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are good for lowering the risk of having heart disease or stroke.
- Black garlic: It provides heart-healthy and anticancer benefits. The fermented cloves are a great source of essential probiotics that help establish our intestinal flora, and it also strengthens our immune system.
- Mangosteens: Contains compounds called xanthones which may combat cancer and inflammation.
Now that we’ve already noted the list of some superfood, let us then begin to make A five-day superfood diet plan for weight loss:
Day 1: Mexican Cabbage Soup
This recipe combines tons of healthy veggies onion, carrot, celery, peppers, and cabbage with lean black beans. The addition of flavorful spices help create a zesty filling soup. The combination of these vegetables provides a mix of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants. The soup is particularly excellent served with crusty rye bread and a leafy green salad with vinaigrette.
Day 2: Quick Lentil Salmon Salad
This lentil salmon salad is a friendly-budget salmon recipe. Canned salmon is rich in healthy omega three fats tops lentils; carrots and celery are all the ingredients that probably have on your hands already. It is fiber-rich lentil are come in a variety of colors and typically cook faster than dried beans, that is why this is an excellent choice for a fast weeknight dinner.
Day 3: Creamy Fettuccine With Brussels Sprouts And Mushrooms
The sliced Brussels sprouts and mushrooms cook quickly and cling to the pasta in this version of pasta primavera; Brussels sprout have been shown to help protect against specific types of cancer. And the mushrooms are one of the few food sources that provide vitamin D. serve the dish with a tossed salad and with vinaigrette.
Day 4: Cauliflower And Kale Frittata
This cauliflower and Kale Frittata is inspired by traditional Spanish tortillas made with potatoes. In this healthy frittata recipe swap potatoes for cauliflower and add in kale. Both have been shown to help protect your body against certain cancers. Serve this frittata with a slice of crusty bread and tossed salad.
Day 5: African Sweet Potato And Chicken Stew
Here in this African peanut and chicken stew recipe, the nutrient-rich sweet potato, and no salt added tomatoes will keep this creamy stew healthy. For this flavorful chicken stew we will serve over whole-wheat couscous season with fresh lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro.
Take note of these: this is just a simple guide for you to make your balance diet and lose some weight in a natural way, you can freely make your own.