In this article, we will run through the health benefits of a vegan diet. Since childhood, we have been told that eating vegetables is a crucial part of a healthy diet. There are many reasons a plant based diet can be beneficial to our overall health. A vegan diet requires discipline and plenty of research. It can be difficult at first, but can be very much worth trying.
For some reason, people always feel that they don’t have the willpower to do it. That’s understandable. Certainly in the beginning, it’s very hard to resist the lure of a delicious burger. While vegetarianism isn’t for everyone, it’s massively on the rise. With nearly 38% of the population having gone vegetarian, India ranks top in the list of vegetarians per population. Almost 50 percent of Americans are trying to cut down on meat according to a report in USA Today. Many Hollywood stars and famous musicians are going vegan. Ariana Grande is a vegan since 2013. According to her, eating a full plant-based, whole food diet not only helps her sleep better and provides more energy but also has made her an all-around happier person. Sounds good to me!
Vegan– A person who does not eat or use any animal products. This includes meat, fish, eggs, dairy and any animal products used to make clothes or anything else. That includes materials such as leather. Vegans choose not to eat meat or foods that are made from animals.
People become a vegetarian or a vegan for many reasons, some of which include:
- Moral motivation
- Environmental conservation
- Economic factors
- Dislike of meat
Reasons why you should be a vegan
It’s clear to everyone that our health is our biggest asset in life. Any chance to prevent the risk of disease and to focus on our health should be taken seriously. There are many aspects to consider. Your health lies in your own hands! A person who eats a vegan diet each day saves 1,100 gallons of water, 45 pounds of grain, 30 sq ft of forested land, and 20 lbs CO2 equivalent. A vegan diet lowers the risks of chronic disease. Above all, you can save one animal’s life. Dwindling natural resources and hunger are some of the most devastating problems facing our world. We are suffering because of the massive demand for animal products. Another issue is the incredible amount of water being used to produce animal products. Being vegan, you would save up to 724,925 gallons of water per person each year. Think of how very useful this change could be for everyone! If you can’t cooperate to solve the problem, then make sure that you’re not the one causing the problem.
Health benefits of a vegan diet:
- Reduces Cardiovascular Disease– Lowering your risk of heart disease is one huge advantage of a vegan diet.
- Increased Energy– There is a confusion that vegan people lack protein compared to non-vegans resulting in not having enough energy. Luckily, when eating soy products such as soybeans like edamame, soy milk, tofu, lentils, almonds, and chia seeds, vegans will be able to receive protein. These are called phytochemicals, a compound found in fresh fruits, vegetables, and grains.
- Clear Skin– By cutting out animal products, the risk of clogged pores is significantly lowered resulting in clearer skin.
- Healthier Immune System– Foods such as mushrooms, broccoli, spinach, tea, and sweet potato can help boost your immune system.
- Better Digestion– The vegan diet is high in fiber, it feels like you are fuller after eating less, so it is beneficial for losing weight.
- Weight Loss– Studies shows that processed meat eaters gain weight faster because of the hormones and fat content present in animal products. A vegan diet is a great way to maintain a healthy weight and figure.
- Reduction Or Prevention Of Type 2 Diabetes, Obesity and Cancer– These conditions are the most common chronic diseases in the Western world. Since the vegan diet is well-known for having low-fat content, it can reduce the risk of prostate and colon cancer.
- Encourages Self-Control– Living a healthier lifestyle should be a main goal in life. We should all take into account the nutritional factors of food that we eat and encourage ourselves to cut processed foods out of our diet.
- Gaining Vitamin C– Besides the immune system, the vegan diet is extremely high in Vitamin C. This helps to keep your gums healthy and helps your bruises heal faster.
- Cholesterol free– Eliminating any food that comes from an animal and you will eliminate all dietary cholesterol from your diet.
Numerous scientific discuss the health benefits of a vegan diet along with the benefits of being vegan for the health of our planet. Even the government recommends that we need to consume most of our calories from grain products, vegetables, and fruits. Obviously, it’s a personal choice to alter your diet and what works for you ethically and nutritionally. It’s important to at least attempt to improve your lifestyle and what you consume and what you put in your body. If you have any underlying medical conditions or allergies, it is important to speak with your doctor before engaging in a drastic change in your diet. Veganism might be the next step for you in your journey towards natural health and wellness.